background

Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Personal Challenge!

So, while this is not vintage related, Ive decided to take a personal challenge public for motivation, inspiration and support.  Ive recently been very inspired by my fellow vintage seller buddy, Julie of Fab Gabs.  She (like myself) has gained some weight over the past year that she is not comfortable with.  I can relate to Julie so much.  As a teen and in my 20s, I was about a size 4 or 5.  Even after I had my enormous (10lb!) baby in 2000, I was able to lose a bulk of the pregnancy weight after I had him and was wearing a size 8/10.  But, an office job and single parent stress brought on a lack of motivation, a lack of self-confidence and a lack of caring what I looked like.  I cant say Im happy with what I look like right now, but I know that I dont feel like myself. I feel like its been way too long and neglected - so Im ready to make a change.

Here is a photo of me in 2004.  While this is not me at my smallest, this me at my best weight/size.  I was a size 8/10 and I weighed about 150.  

And this is me currently - I could just cry (and Im literally almost crying now!)


Thank you Jane of Jane Button Photography for taking these photos of me!!

So, what I will be doing here is making a daily commitment to post a photo (or two) a day - of my outfit and progress - as well as exercise habits/routines.  Unlike Julie - who wears 100% vintage, everyday! (Im so jealous), I tend to wear vintage mixed in with my modern clothing.  And sometimes, Im 100% modern too.  Hell, this might even give me more willpower to dress up even more everyday!  Im not sure I want to post my weight, because thats very personal to me - but I will for sure post my measurements.

Starting today - my measurements are:
Height 5'7"
Bust 46" (wearing a 40DDD bra)
Waist 36.5"
Hips 45"
(Im sure Im ready to disclose my weight, its extremely private to me - but really - the weight is just a number, its the inches I care about most!)

Currently, I fit into a size 14 jeans/pants and 14 dress.  I often have a hard time finding clothing that fits my body proportionally because of my ample bust.  Can you believe that I was a 34B for the most part of my adult life?!  I hope to be able to fit into this dress, Im in LOVE with it.  But most of all, Im in love that its a good healthy size 10 - Betty, my oldest dress form, encompasses the shape I long to be.  Shes curvy but healthy and if I may say so, quite sexy!  I love Betty, she looks awesome in everything I put on her! - Here is a quick photo of Betty wearing the dress Im dying to get into.



So, today's outfit is one of my favorites.  The 60s dress I purchased from Bohemian Bisoux Vintage.  I love Lauren and all of her pretty pieces.  This one was a bit big for me when I purchased it (I knew it would be) but I had a seamstress friend alter it.  Its still a little big, which is fine with me!



60s Dress - Bohemian Bisoux Vintage
60s Rhinestone Earrings - Gift from my Mother-in-Law
60s Black Pumps - Thrifted
(Sorry about the lackluster hair, its a really rainy humid day here in New Hampshire!)

Here's a bonus shot of me, proud of the fact that I may be a larger size, but I still have skinny ankles! - Its the little things.... ;)   -  Wish me luck!







6 comments:

  1. GO DANA GO!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! And for the record, your face does not show your weight or your AGE at all!! My face looks like someone pumped it with silicone when I gain weight :(
    ~ Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you personally but I follow you on Facebook. I myself have faced the same challenge. Gaining and losing copious amounts of weight and finding myself after a child and divorce. It's not easy, especially as a single parent, everything but you comes first. I wish you all the luck and success in the world, you can do it. It won't be easy and it will take work but you CAN do it. I have managed to drop another 20 over the past year, so it IS possible. Best of luck and see you on the "healthy-skinny" side! - gabby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray! I'm so excited to have you doing this with me. You're going to rock it - AND that dress. And if it makes you feel better, it took me a week or so to post my weight publicly, but it felt really good to do it. You don't have to feel the same way, but it really helps you own it and own every bit of loss, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I think you are divine right now, but I can relate and will happily follow your blog and support you from afar- or near! Bless you! Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Livestrong.com calorie counter. You won't look back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe you can do it. I would slowly take certain foods out of your present diet... Otherwise you will have a harder time resisting. Start with just only drinking water when you are thirsty. Do that for a week. Then begin eating fruit and salad before your big meal. Still drink only water. This will teach your mind and body of how it feels to feel full with the good stuff. When temptation presents its self- which it will for the first month....give your mind a deterrent from eating the temptation(one bite will set you back a weeks work) By week 3 begin taking more old foods out and begin a food plan. With that begin excercising: walk 1/2 hr every day for a mile. Then add another mile and then try to go bake to another mile but watch your time. From there you should be ready to take control and figure out new goals for yourself. First month is the hardest. By August you will be close to or at where you want to be!!

    ReplyDelete